Sunday, August 31, 2008

DOT info

This information is what I have gathered from the DOT & NYS Motor Vehicle Department. I do not warrant it to be correct nor that using this information will make you legal.
These are the pages from DOT manual, that most DOT Inspectors and Police Officers do not know about, (sounds like an informational doesn't it) showing tractor pulling is exempt from DOT regulations if Corporate sponsorship is not involved! The important thing here is that the corporate sponsorship not be involved and the income is declared as ordinary income on your income taxes.
The following is what a DOT inspector told me who is also a truck puller.
They may question the corporate stickers on your vehicle. I was told to tell the inspector that I receive no money for having the stickers and that they are required of the sanctioning organization.
One of the pages is regarding carrying of alcohol , the easiest way is in 8 gallon containers, securely fastened. The maximum amount is, 440 lbs.
NOTE it is VARY important that if you get stopped to declare the alcohol as "material of Trade". It will not automatically be granted or mentioned, if you do not do this you will need to have shipping papers and if over the limit the vehicle will need to be placarded.
If you do not have your alcohol in 8 gallon containers you will need shipping papers. If you have over 1000# of alcohol the vehicle is required to be placarded and possibly other measures I am not aware of.
Document 1 Document 2 Document 3

Registering a RV in New York.

Each state has their own regulations about what is required to be an RV. I got a copy last week from NYS DMV tech services in Albany .

106.3 Passenger registration.
(e) motor home. A self-propelled vehicle designed as a traveling place
of abode. To qualify as a motor home, a vehicle must have a least four of the following facilities:

(1) cooking with an on-board power source;

(2) a gas or electric refrigerator;

(3) a toilet with exterior evacuation;

(4) heating or air conditioning or both from an on-board power source
separate from the vehicle engine;

(5) a potable water supply system including a faucet, sink and a water
tank with an exterior service connection; and

(6) a 110-125 volt power supply separate from the vehicle engine.

From the NYS DMV web site


A CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .

* A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of
more than 26,000 lbs.
* A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000
lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
* A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the
operator) or any vehicle carrying children to or from school and home
regularly for compensation.
* A vehicle of any size that carries hazardous materials in amounts
requiring placarding.


Yes, a few . . .

* Active Duty Military . . . with military licenses operating military
* Firefighters . . . meeting approved training standards and operating
authorized emergency vehicles.
* Farmers . . . in certain cases.
* Individuals ....operating motor homes or other vehicles used
exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for
nonbusiness purposes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of hombre who passions to taste revolutionary stuff. Currently I'm fabricating my personalized solar panels. I am managing it all alone without the help of my staff. I am using the net as the only way to acheive this. I saw a really brilliant site which explains how to build solar panels and wind generators. The web site explains all the steps required to diy solar panel construction.

I am not really sure about how accurate the info given there iz. If some people over here who had experience with these things can have a see and give your feedback in the thread it would be awesome and I would extremely appreciate it, because I extremely like [URL=]solar panel construction[/URL].

Thanks for reading this. U guys are great.